Getting Started with Broadband Internet
If you have questions such as ‘What is broadband?, ‘What different types of broadband are available to me?’, ‘Which speed do I need?’ ‘What are the benefits of broadband?’ then our beginners guide is here to help. Click on the sections above to learn the basics. Then, once you have made the decision to install broadband in your home or workplace, you can run through the following questions:
- What types of broadband are available in your area? You will need to know what types of broadband are available for you to use. You can find this out by visiting websites such as broadbandchecker.co.uk or by phoning different service providers.
- What speed is best for you? To make this decision, you must consider what you will be using the Internet for and how many people will be sharing one Internet connection.
- Which download limit is best for you? To make this decision, you must consider how much you will be using the Internet and what sort of data you will be downloading.
- Is there connection/modem/installation costs? Many broadband providers will charge you an initial cost that you will pay just once. Make sure you find out if there is such a charge, and if so, how much it is.
- Which contract is best? You need to consider how long you require the service for. It may be appropriate for you to get a 12 month contract or on the hand, it may be appropriate to pay-as-you-go.
- What help does the company provide? It is important to know what help your broadband provider will offer should you get a technical problem. Make sure you know how long it will take them to fix a problem, how easy it is to get in touch with them and if there is any costs involved.
- Does your PC meet the requirements? It is important to make sure that your PC is fitted with the correct hardware and software to meet the provider’s minimum requirements. You may find that you need to upgrade your PC in order to receive broadband.